Saturday 22 June 2013

Unspoken

Unspoken
(The Lynburn Legacy #1)
By Sarah Rees Brennan
 

About
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?


Source: Goodreads
My rating: 4.5/5

My Thoughts
I really liked this book, and I mean really liked it! I was reading this whilst studying for my tax exams and it's one of those books that you can't stop thinking about. Anyway, what I do when I am studying is revise for 1.5 hours and then read for 15 minutes, then study for 1.5 hours, and so on. Well, Unpoken was so distracting that in the end I just put the tax books aside, and just kept reading!

I knew that the voice in Kami's head was too real and that it could not be an imaginary person but to think what that kind of connection might be like. Someone always in your head, knowing you so well. With social media, we pretty much know where everyone is all the time, through facebook statuses, twitter updates, text messages etc. But at the end of the day, those things are what we put down. Imagine someone knowing what you're thinking the whole time. And being able to communicate with that one person through your mind. Wow...I don't think I would be able to handle that.

I like how Kami doesn't like Jared when she meets him and that it's not one of those 'love at first sight' stories. That's what makes it so unique, that even though they have shared this connection since they were born, there is still so much they do not know about each other.

Kami's character is awesome. She's like a mini Nancy Drew, always investigating things, getting herself into trouble and the things she says are hilarious! And to think she is in one of the biggest mysteries of it all.....she knew the return of the Lynburns would change things for her, but she soon learns how much!

The second book in this series, Untold, will be released on August 29th and I cannot wait! If you haven't read Untold- Go. Now!

Zed (:

Favourite Quotes

Angela had moved from London to Sorry-in-the-Vale when Kami was twelve. The timing had been perfect because Kami's first best friend, Nicola Prendergast, had just dropped her for being too weird.

"My point is, here we have an opportunity to champion truth that doesn't involve sports," Kami persisted. "It's a step toward me becoming the greatest journalist of our time. You have to help, Angela, because Ms. Dollard has this notion that I'm a troublemaker and she's only- finally - letting me set up a school paper because I told her you were on board."
Angela rounded on Kami, her dark eyes blazing. "You did what?"

"Have I mentioned, thanks for doing this?" Kami asked.
Angela slung an arm around Kami's shoulders as they went up the stairs. "Your soul is like the souls of a thousand monkeys on crack, all smushed together," she told Kami. "But enough about you. Show me to my napping sofa."

Angela lifted the arm over her eyes a fraction. "Go away," she commanded. "I only date college guys."
"You don't know any college guys," Kami pointed out.
Angela's gaze went to Kami, and she smiled. "Which leaves me with more time for napping."

"He'd be excellent decoration for our headquarters," Kami said. "You have to admit, he's very good-looking, and I need a photographer, so can I keep him, please, oh, please?"
Angela sighed. In the cupboard, the sigh was like a gust of wind. "Kami, you know I hate guys being around all the time. They won't stop staring and bothering me and giving me sad, sad eyes like a puppy dog until I just want to kick them. Like a puppy dog."
"So you have some puppy issues," Kami observed.
The cupboard door swung suddenly open.
The new boy stood framed by the bright light of the office. "Sorry to interrupt," he said. "But I can hear everything you're saying."

Ash pushed himself off the doorframe and into the room, toward her. "You did an awesome job out there in the woods," he said. "And with the article."
Kami beamed. "Thank you."
"But I think you and Angela should leave this to the police from now on."
"What an interesting thought," Kami said. "Thank you for sharing it with me. Let me share a thought with you: Actually I can walk myself to class. And I can also handle myself, so I'll be doing what I want."

Kami felt Jared reach for her, as if he knew she was thinking about him. I'm bored, he said. What are you doing?
Talking about hot guys, Kami informed him.
Jared said, Oh my God.
You did ask.
It's a topic of absorbing interest, Jared said. I'm sure. Obviously, as a hot guy myself, I wouldn't know.
Kami laughed.
I find your scepticism very hurtful, Jared said. I'm extremely hot. Except not so much in the face.

How do you deal with it? Kami asked Jared. The laughing at nothing and occasionally stopping dead in your tracks.
I have a system where when I stop, I lean casually against something, Jared told her. It makes people think I'm a bad boy. Or possibly that I have a bad back.

Angela had offered to walk her home, which was so unheard of that it made Kami laugh.
"Just take care of yourself, you hyperactive midget," Angela had instructed, eyes narrowed like a cross cat, and sent Kami on her way with a shove.

"Oh, thank God," Jared said. "I couldn't work out how to hit you and hold on to you at the same time."
"Hit me?" Kami croaked. "I've had enough of this abusive behaviour. And we've only just met! You're making a terrible first impression."

"I remember that," Kami said. "Honestly, Jared, one thing at a time. Why are you in the well with me? This is a really bad rescue!"

She was chewing the end of her pencil over article number nineteen when Jared threw open the door, strode into the room, and announced, "We should date."
Kami bit her pencil in two.
Angela rose from her chair like the wrath of God in a red silk blouse and demanded, "Who the hell are you?"

"I heard what you said!" Kami yelped. "I guess I was hoping I'd got it wrong and you hadn't said the crazy thing you said. Since you did say the crazy thing you said, do you mind explaining it to me?"

Jared flicked her an incredulous glance. "Yes," he said slowly. "Zen jogging. I wasn't wearing that many clothes because- that's part of the process. You're meant to commune with the elements. Normally, I wouldn't have worn my jeans, but I put them on because I know the English are a modest people."

"That's what I was thinking, but why?" Kami wondered aloud. "It's not like he can stop me before I reveal all. I told the police! I put it in the paper! All has never been so revealed."


2 comments:

  1. Oh no I don't think I would like that very much. lol I like a bit of quiet in my head now and again. But it sounds like a fantastic read. I laughed a bit at the attempt of 15 minutes reading then going back to the tax books. I've tried that before with oh just one chapter then I'll go clean the kitchen. And then somehow it's 300 pages later. lol Oops! I'll have to check this one out. I hadn't seen it before and it really does sound great. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Herding Cats, thanks for your comment. Haha....I'm sure I would like quiet in my head too but it's always buzzing!

    I'm so excited because I have tickets to see Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan in July!

    ReplyDelete