Monday 19 August 2013

Review of Judgement of Souls

Judgement of Souls
By Margarita Felices

About:
If you have to find a sacred book in order to redeem your parents, find and kill Max, the person responsible for their punishment. The same man that broke your heart and turned your perfect world upside down and try to keep the mortal man you now love safe from this vindictive Vampire’s sword, then you should read Rachel’s story.

JUDGMENT OF SOULS is a Gothic horror in which a naïve pureblood Vampire is tossed into the mortal world. Rachel meets Daniel, a nightclub owner and his group of friends and after Daniel’s best friend is murdered by Max, becomes embroiled in the search for an ancient Vampire artefact. Rachel tries to fight off her feelings for Daniel, even siding with her Vampire friend Arun to think again about Daniel’s involvement, but he’s her love and she’s going to protect him, no matter what.


Source: Goodreads

My rating: 4/5

My Thoughts:

The story takes place in Cardiff, England (although I have never been to Cardiff I love it when books are based in my home country!) Despite the annoying format problem I had with this, it was an easy read. The story flowed and it had a good pace.

Tales of a vampire falling in love with the mortal have been told countless time, but I haven't tired of them... yet. Besides, there are a few twists in Judgement of Souls, making it different from the regular stories. Firstly, the vampire in this book is female, and the mortal is male, plus the vampire was once in love with the villain!

Arun and Daniel's arguments made me smile, mainly because Arun wanted to kill Daniel in order to simplify things, and Daniel refused to leave Rachel. I can tell this is going to be a series because there is no way the book could end on that note. Plus, we need to find out why Daniel's grandfather hid the book and what other secrets does his family hide?

Overall, an enjoyable read. A little gruesome at times but definitely worth it.

Zed (:

Favourite Quotes:

She would fly over to some European city and spot one without having to look too hard. You could see them on any street corner or alleyway, drug pushers, pimps, muggers. Who would miss this type of mortal? But part of her pitied her prey; the poor unfortunate whose only weakness was their frailty; perhaps that was what she craved the most.

"...When you've been alive as long as I have, you begin to get immune to the horror. Then one day you wake to find that you don't care anymore, you let them fight and you stay out of the way."

"He's a nut job!" said Arun. "He freaked at high speed driving, but he loved flying through the air."

Rachel interrupted. "I've had it with you two! You," she said, pointing at Arun. "He stays." Then, pointing at Daniel "And you, just follow and keep yourself tucked behind one of us. Right now I'm thinking I don't need either of you, so unless this bitching stops I'll do this myself!" She spun and hurried out of the Temple.

2 comments:

  1. Oo new author for me. I haven't gotten tired of that theme either. Always good. Glad to hear there were some nice unique tweaks to it though.

    thanks for the heads up!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna,

    I love reading books by new authors too. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete