Saturday 5 October 2013

Review of Untold

Untold 
(The Lynburn Legacy #2)

By Sarah Rees Brennan

About:It’s time to choose sides… On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be?


Source: Goodreads

My rating: 5/5

My Thoughts:
Eagerly anticipated and definitely worth the wait. I had forgotten how magical Sarah's writing is. How it can transform even the most serious of conversations into something hilariously funny.

In Untold we see how Jared and Kami behave ever since their link is severed. How Jared can't bear to be around her and how much she misses his presence. Jared wants the link back more than anything else and Kami can't help but think whether he loved the link or her...

The fight with Rob continues, where Rob is gathering as many sorcerers onto his side and trying to take Aurimere from Lilian. At the same time, Kami and her team are trying to find ways to protect themselves, and Kami finds herself becoming more alone and uncertain, now that she no longer has Jared to rely on.

The ending is oh so sad... truly heartbreaking but at the same time I cannot wait to get my hands on book 3!

Zed (:

Favourite Quotes:

"You know what?" Kami said with a grin. "Mrs. Jeffries at the post office tried to slip me a little somethin' somethin' to praise her scarecrow in The Nosy Parker. It's shocking how corrupt the Scarecrow Trials have become. What about honor, Angela? What about the craft?"
"How much did you get?"
"Well, okay, she slipped me some free stamps," Kami admitted. "Still, my first bribe as a journalist. I'm feeling pretty fancy."

"Cambridge?" he said, using his silly nickname for her. "A scarecrow just tried to choke me. I don't wish to seem overly inquisitive, but do you have any idea what on earth is happening?"

"Right," said Rusty. "So you don't have, ah, magic powers anymore."
"Can you stop prefixing magic powers with 'ah'?"
"I'm not ready to drop the prefix," Rusty told her. "If you like, I can switch prefixes. I'm happy to go with 'um, magic powers' or 'er...magic powers.' Whichever works best for you ladies."

"What are you doing?" Angela complained. "Are you trying to make me jog? You know I think people who jog should be shot at midday."
"Why at midday?" Kami asked absently.

"There's no need to ever get up at dawn," Angela told her. "Not even to shoot joggers.

"I only came here because my boy asked me to - and he only asked because he knew it was what you wanted."
"Yes," Kami told her. "This evening was all my dreams come true. I can never get enough of people looking down their noses at me. You do it beautifully. I wish you had two noses, so that you could look at me down both."

"Angela," she whispered, "are you asleep?"
Angela, lying on her back with her eyes shut and her hands folded like Snow White in a glass coffin, said flatly, "Yes."
"Because I'd like to talk about our feeeeelings."
"I wish I was dead."
"Angela, you don't mean that."
"Kami, I do. And do you know why? Because then you might let me rest in peace."

"You're going to Hallow's Field on your motorcycle?"
"Want a lift?"
"No," said Kami. "I mean, you're going into a situation where something really bad might be happening, and you've decided to make sure they can hear you coming? Better hope being a tavern wench works out, because you, sir, will never be a ninja."

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Kami said firmly. "But if you have any free classes today, please photocopy some extra copies of the paper and I promise to love you always and forgive you for any evil you ever do. Some say love cannot be bought, but mine is available at this time for anyone with a good heart and the ability to use a photocopier."

"...She was just lying in her crib, because babies are unimaginative like that. And I know people think Angela is pretty now, but none of those people ever saw her as a baby. She was god-awfully hideous. I swear she looked like a bad-tempered mutant tomato, and she was making a sound like a cat being fed into a printer..."

After a few rings, he heard Jared's voice in his ear. "Who is this and what do you want?"
"Is that how you answer the phone to every number you don't recognise?" Ash demanded.
"Ash," Jared said. "Shame. I was hoping it would be a telemarketer. How did you get this number?"

"...Ash should take the ladies because he's charming."
Ash looked pleased. Jared raised his eyebrows.
"Are you saying that I'm not a charmer?"
"You are very dear to me, but you have all the savoir of a wildebeest," Kami told him.
"A wildebeest," Jared repeated.
"A dashingly handsome wildebeest," Kami assured him.

"...And you don't ever have to worry about what I feel. The way I feel about you won't change. You can do whatever you like to me. You could turn this town to dust, burn the woods until they were cinders, you could cut out my heart. It wouldn't matter. It would not change a thing."
"What if I ate a baby?"
Jared's mouth curved up at the corners, slow and not cruel after all. "I'm sure you'd have a good reason," he said. "Such as, babies are delicious."




No comments:

Post a Comment