Tuesday 28 January 2014

Academy #5

Drop of Doubt
(The Academy #5)
By C.L. Stone


About:

Sang Sorenson and the Academy boys return to Ashley Waters High School but before they get a chance to even settle in, Sang’s life is threatened by an anonymous caller.

They retreat to the protective walls of the Morgan estate, a safe house for when the boys are under fire. But when new threats can break through those barriers that once kept them secure, it leaves Kota, Victor, Silas, Nathan, Gabriel, Luke and North rushing to figure out who is hunting them.

But when you’re fighting a ghost who seems to know all your secrets, retreating is no longer an option.

The Academy, Deceptively Strategic.


Source: Goodreads

My Rating: 4.75/5

My Thoughts:

Oh wow, I just finished book 5. It took me six days to read, but I assure you i was very tempted to read it all in one go. To stop myself from doing that, i had to remind myself that book six was not published and so after this, it would be another waiting game for the release of book six.
In this book we see a new ‘villain’ although I’m not entirely sure he is a villain per se. Volto, named after the venetian mask he constantly wears, is incredibly smart, manipulative and out to warn Sang to stay away from the Academy boys for some unknown reason. What’s weird is that he doesn’t hurt sang when he’s alone with her, in fact he even helps her when she’s in a bad situation.
However, he does plant seeds of doubt in Sang’s mind, hence the book’s name.
We don’t see Sang’s stepmother or McCoy which was a shame. Yes they’re both horrible, but they make the story much more interesting!
I felt for Gabe in this book, he felt so neglected and then ends up getting injured in a fight. Poor thing, hopefully he has a happier time in book six.
Book five was significantly darker than the previous books, probably because of the constant threat of Volto trying to kidnap Sang. There were a few fun scenes like the spa date with Victor and the finger nail painting, but there was an underlying current of seriousness behind it all.
Overall, loved it...now where is book six?!

Zed (:

Favourite Quotes:

"The Academy wants me to quit. They encourage giving it up if I'm not happy. We don't always get to do what we want, but the Academy is built to work on your strengths and your passion. You don't make it far if you don't at least enjoy some of what you're doing." (Victor)

"I have to share you with the guys," he said. "I don't want to share you with the world." (Victor)

"Couldn't someone just scale the wall and walk in the front door?"
"They wouldn't make it over the wall. The only reason you got in was because you were with me."
"What if I scale the wall?"
"Please don't scale the wall, Princess." (Victor)

Before I had told them I didn't feel part of their group. Now it was like I was suddenly cast into cold bath water. It wasn't just me and my small Academy family facing off the world. It was the world out there, and me in an unknown place with the Academy hovering over me with secrets. I suddenly didn't know who they were any more.

"You can't just lock me up in a bubble."
"Like hell I can't," he said. His eyes told me there wouldn't be an argument about this. He collected half of the stack of photos, shoving them into his back pocket. He went to the door. "Stay her, lock up. Don't move. I don't want to have to chase your ass around town if fuck-face shows up." (North)


"She won't stop crying," Luke said. "Someone make her stop."
"The crazy girl has nerves of steel until you tell her the show's over," Victor said.

"How can you be so beautiful? Now I feel like more of an asshole."
"Gabriel?"
"And on top of it, I wake up and you're right here next to me." He lifted his head. The light from the window caught in his face. "You came back for me. You pulled a fucking knife out of my leg. What the hell did I do to get you to like me so much?"
"You painted my toenails."
A hand lifted from my back, and landed with a smack against my thigh. "Shush, smart ass."

No comments:

Post a Comment