Friday 21 March 2014

Review of Faking Normal

Faking Normal
By Courtney C. Stevens



About:
Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.

When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

A searing, poignant book, Faking Normal is the extraordinary debut novel from an exciting new author-Courtney C. Stevens.


Source: Goodreads

Rating: 4.5/5

My Thoughts:

Faking Normal is surrounded by high hopes and anticipation and I'm glad to say it is definitely worth it. Alexi's life has been turned around after an incident last summer, which no one knows about. She's pretending to be fine, faking normal, and everyone seems to buy it except Bodee. 
Bodee, aka the 'kool-aid kid' due to his daily change in hair colour‎, becomes friends with Lexi just after his mother's funeral. Bodee also has a secret, his mum was murdered by his father, and Bodee's faking normal too. 
Lex's family bring Bodee into their home, and their friendship strengthens. Both are suffering and both find a peace in each others presence. But will they ever be able to move on with their lives or are they too broken?

Favourite Quotes:

God, I wish I could bleed him out of my life.
If only I could make the outside hurt more than the inside.

That option gives me a degree of deniability. It’s really the only choice. But it’s sort of like choosing between a boat with a hole and a raft with a leak. I still sink.

And Bodee smiles.
Really smiles. Teeth and all. (They’re straight).
And even though I have thrown up, walked through a crime scene, and rooted through the remainder of Mrs Lennox’s life, I smile too.

After what I’ve been through, I’m like a burnt and crumbly cake that some sly baker covers up with beautiful icing. So even if he likes me on the outside, my inside in tasteless crap.

“I won’t let anyone hurt you.”
If a heart can smile, mine does.
“Bodee, thanks,” I say, though I know he doesn’t need it. I’m sorry you lost her.”
“At least I found you,” he says.

When I can’t make myself smaller, I cry and pound my fist on the floor. There’s an art to crying without a sound, and I’m a master. 

“I missed you.”
“You must have, you’re hugging me at school,” he says.
“I missed you,” I repeat. More like I had trouble breathing without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment