Friday 15 August 2014

Review of Katwalk

Katwalk 

By Maria Murnane

About:



Katrina Lynden has always walked a straight line in life, an approach that has resulted in a stable career and pleased her hard-nosed parents but that has also left her feeling unfulfilled and miserable. When her best friend suggests they quit their Silicon Valley jobs and embark on two months of adventure in New York City, Katrina balks at the idea but ultimately agrees, terrified yet proud of herself for finally doing something interesting with her life. But when her friend has to back out at the last minute, Katrina finds herself with a tough decision to make. Much to her surprise, she summons the courage to go alone, and the resulting journey is transformative, both emotionally and physically. Along the way she makes new friends, loses others, learns what is really important to her, and finds a way to grow up without leaving herself behind.

Source: Goodreads

My rating: 4.5/5

My Thoughts:

Some books arrive at the perfect time in your life and for me, this was the perfect time to read Katwalk. In this book we see how Katrina after much persuasion from her best friend takes the plunge to leave the job she hates in the finance department, to go on a 2 month holiday to New York. The plan was for both friends to leave their jobs the same day so they could travel together but Deb's plan changed after receiving an unexpected promotion. Katrina is terrified of going by herself but seeing as she has already left her job she decides to go on the adventure by herself. 
The big apple is everything she had hoped for and so much more. Despite her introverted nature and lack of self confidence, Katrina makes new friends, enjoys the social scene and begins a new chapter in her life as Kat. What I liked most about this book was seeing the transition from the girl with the rigid routine to the spontaneous adventurer she becomes. It made me feel like it's never too late to start fresh. Kat just needed to change her perspective and make small changes in the way she thought and saw the world, everything else just fell into place. After reading Katwalk I'm thinking more about my own life and how it's the small things that matter. Kat needed to find herself and understand what she wanted in order to be happy. Everyone else saw the potential in her except herself and sometimes the hardest thing is having self belief. Now I want to be more adventurous and step outside my comfort zone to see what awaits me. Most importantly, I need to try a blueberry scone!

Zed (:


Favourite Quotes:

Grace raised her eyebrows. "You paint?"
"I try to paint. I don't know if I actually paint. What are you up to?"
Grace patted the box. "Another meeting with a potential buyer. More getting my hopes up, more dreams dashed, the usual. I swear to God this is worse than online dating."

Shana tapped Grace on the arm. "How is two out of five a majority?"
Grace pushed her hand away. "I'm Asian. Don't question my math skills."

"...Then you could tell that bag of bones what to do with her scrawny ass."
Katrina laughed and gestured to Grace. "I still can't wrap my head around how such vulgar comments come out of someone who looks like a porcelain doll."
Grace shrugged. "You should hear my sister. I'm the nice one."

Perspective really is everything.  And everyone's perspective is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment