Tuesday 16 September 2014

Review of Puppet

Puppet

By Pauline C. Harris

About:
Penelope lives in a world of advanced technology but many claim society has yet to catch up. Marionettes have advanced in the form of robots; lifelike creations remote controlled to perform super human tasks.

When Penelope makes a deal with Jed, a marionette-obsessed scientist, she doesn’t fully realize what she’s getting herself into. In order for Jed to take her away from the orphanage she lives in, she must first agree to undergo his experiments and tests, ultimately creating something no one ever dreamed possible; the first living marionette.

As Jed shows off his scientific creation to the world, concerns arise surrounding Penelope’s abilities and what she’s capable of doing. Ordered to somehow lessen her abilities, Jed makes a desperate attempt to change Penelope to make her more human, more vulnerable. After Penelope lies to the officials about her past, Jed makes sure it’s the last one she’ll ever utter. The truth is now the only thing she is capable of telling.

As Penelope struggles with her past, her disturbingly new present, and her uncertain future, she is thrust into a magically twisted world of mayhem in search of the one thing she wants, but knows she can never have. The chance to be just a girl again. To be normal. To be real.


Source: Goodreads

My rating: 4/5

My Thoughts:

I usually find that a book that takes me a while to get into, can’t be that exciting to begin with. Puppet was very hard to get into, I found the whole marionette thing a little bit boring and hard to comprehend. I wasn’t sure if Pen was a marionette or not, which part of her was human, and which was essentially a robot? (The cover freaked me out a bit too) But thankfully things picked up and I’m now glad that I didn’t abandon this book in its early stages as it turned out to be most interesting and adventurous.
 This is a retelling of Pinocchio, and I liked that Pen constantly tried to fight for control but couldn’t seem to grasp it because there was always someone else ‘pulling the strings’ so to speak. She wants a family so bad, and doesn’t realise she has one until she almost loses it. Overall, an exciting read and I particularly enjoyed the twist of events at the end and the James-Pen romance.
Zed (:
Favourite Quotes:

I can understand Jed’s obsession with them, although I can’t really relate to it. They’re mesmerizing and sometimes beautiful, but I don’t really like them. They creep me out more than they pull me in.

Being forced to tell the truth doesn’t make me any better than a criminal with a lie detector. Choice is what matters and my choice has been taken away.

“With Dad, anything’s possible.” He shrugs. “He might be crazy but he’s also crazy smart.”

“…I believe God gives us good things in our lives. Some people call it miracles, others magic, others luck. They’re all just words, but they all seem to mean the same thing.”

“There was nothing I could do,” he eventually utters so quietly I almost don’t hear him.
“But you could have done something.”

“Forcing me to tell the truth doesn’t make me a better person!” I state. “Not at all. Choosing to lie or tell the truth is what sets someone apart and you’ve taken that away from me.”


The bullet doesn’t hit me because it was never intended to, but my heart breaks all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment