Friday 5 December 2014

Review of the Iron King

The Iron King
(The Iron Fey #1)
 
By Julie Kagawa
 
 
About:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

 
Source: Goodreads
 
My rating: 4.7/5
 
My Thoughts:
 
I was in a reading slump when a friend recommended the Iron Fey series (thank you!). Upon seeing the cover I was a leeetle bit worried because it's advertised as 'the new twilight' and although I was sucked into the hype at the time, personally I felt the twilight series was addictive but poorly written. After reading the Iron King I don't understand why they compared it to Twilight since the two series are completely different!

The Iron King was an excellent read with lots of twists to keep it interesting. Grimalkin, the cat, was hilarious, a cross between the Cheshire Cat from Alice in wonderland and grumpy cat. Grim is clearly untrustworthy but there were times when he(or she, I'm not actually sure...) softened up to help Meghan and I know Grim will be an important part of the rest of the series.

The fact that the story uses characters from A Midsummer Night's Dream, was intriguing because although I read it at Secondary school, I can barely remember what happened. This might have been a good thing because if I knew what happened in that story, there could have been a potential spoiler alert.

What can I say about Megan, Ash and Puck; the unfortunate love triangle? I want to comment on the ending but it would ruin the entire story for you. Puck reminds me of Simon from The Mortal Instruments, the goofy bestfriend who loves but will never get the girl, or so I assume. In this story, let's just say that promises and debts are taken very seriously in the Nevernever (faery-land) and there's no way to unmake an oath regardless of how much you regret it later...

Zed (:
 
Favourite Quotes:
 
Puck stepped forward. "Ladies and felines," he stated grandly, grasping the doorknob, "welcome to Tir Na Nog. Land of endless winter and shitloads of snow."
 
"So what?" I challenged, pulling the quilt tighter around myself. "All you're telling me is I won't betray my friends or family. If that's a weakness, it's one I want."
 
"What if I can't?" I whispered. "What if the Iron King truly is invincible?"
"Then we will all die," said the Elder Dryad, and faded back into her oak. The other dryads left, leaving me alone with a cat, a prince, and a stick. I sighed and looked down at the wood in my hands.
"No pressure or anything," I muttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment